Summer Delights

As I walked through the supermarket this weekend, I was struck by the huge array of “treats, snacks and goodies” that it stocked. Judy had asked me to stop at the store and pick-up a few items since one of my daughters was visiting this weekend. Since we are already feeling the summer hear here in Ocean City, I thought an icy treat would be the best bet.

One of my stand-by favorites has always been Klondike Bars. After all, they had their humble beginnings at Isaly’s and even as a child, they were one of my favorites. In 1993, Unilever acquired the Isaly Klondike Company and the Klondike® brand became part of Good Humor-Breyers™. Unilever describes their Klondike line as “the most comprehensive line of chilly treats in dessert history.”

They are able to make this claim since there are over 23 different varieties in the assortment! When I was a child, choices were much simpler. There were two, plain or crunchy. Today you have plain (a,k,a, original), crunchy, Oreo, mint, Heath, Low Fat, No Fat and dozens of other choices.

I used to get so excited when we got a Klondike bar from Isaly’s. They weren’t sold in markets, only at an Isaly’s store. I remember sitting outside eating this wonderful delicacy! Mom made us eat any ice cream cones and items such as Klondikes on the back porch since we tended to be a bit “messy.” Klondikes were always a bit of a challenge for me since I had melting chocolate AND melting ice cream to contend with. Of course, like any kid, I would tear off the entire wrapper and end up holding the bar with nothing to contain the mess. Somehow it was worth it, and the joy of licking all the chocolate/ice cream mess off of my fingers was an added treat.

Although I enjoyed trips to Isaly’s for Klondikes, NOTHING compared to be able to get one of their famous skyscraper cones. Undoubtedly, my pick every time was vanilla that had chocolate jimmies mixed throughout the ice cream. Chocolate chip ice cream had not been created yet, so this was the next best thing. Mom and Dad preferred butter pecan, and I think my brother Steve was a vanilla devotee.

Just as when we were eating a Klondike bar, we were relegated to the back porch once again when tackling an ice cream cone from Isaly’s. If I remember correctly, whenever Dad would bring a cone on his was home after closing his garage on South 1st Street, Isalys would wrap the cones in wax sheets and place them in a brown bag. Dad would then race up Grant and Kennedy Avenues to be sure he arrived home before the cones had melted into a puddle at the bottom of the bag. Amazingly, although he was traveling in a car without air-conditioning, he usually managed to make it home before any damage was done.

Summer treats weren’t strictly products from Isaly’s. One treat that I always loved, especially on a sweltering summer day were popsicles. Occasionally, Mom would purchase some to keep on hand, but considering the freezer compartment was a mere little cubicle in our GE Refrigerator, space was scarce. Normally, if Mom felt we had earned a Popsicle for being good or perhaps working around the house, we would typically pay a visit to “Puski’s” at the corner of Mellon and Texas Avenue. You could get a whole Popsicle there for 5¢ or he would sell you ½ for 3¢. Seriously, we could actually buy ½ of a Popsicle.

Cherry was always my favorite. Occasionally, Steve and I would each get a whole Popsicle and then split them and share ½ with one another to get some variety. Of course, we were back porch bound once again to enjoy our treats. Unlike eating ice cream cones, we had the added excitement of watching our lips and tongue turn bright red, purple or blue, depending on our flavor of choice. There also was that initial sensation of the first lick when the frozen Popsicle would stick to your tongue. It was just like when Ralphie’s friend Flick had his tongue stuck to the flag pole in A Christmas Story. The melting Popsicle would then run down the sticks and coat our hands until we were a sticky, colorful mess, but it was well worth it.

At the conclusion of every back porch summer treat  feast, Mom would clean-up after us since we always managed to drip all over the porch. She’d come out of the back door from the kitchen with broom and bucket of steaming hot water in hand. She would also have a warm dishrag in hand to wipe our hands and mouths. She’d then turn her attention and launch a vicious attack on the messy porch floor, claiming that she didn’t want to attract ants.

There were two other treats that were less “run-of-the-mill” than those I’ve mentioned. The first goodie was a Dixie cup. They always came equipped with a little wooden spoon and were the neatest treat to eat. For a short time, I remember that the lids had various images on them that we used to collect. The photos were usually those of movie stars, however occasionally, there would be a picture of a sports hero, a special sight, or animals. I saved those lids for a short time, but like most of our baseball cards, they somehow vaporized as I was growing up, never to be found again. (Mom, I know you did it!!) The flavor selection with Dixie Cups was somewhat limited; vanilla and/or chocolate were the only choices I remember, and honestly, the taste could never compare to Isaly’s!

Whenever the Duquesne Annex Fire Department had their annual fair during the summer, we were always treated to a Sno-Cone. Mom would always walk my brother and I up Mellon Street to the Annex parking lot to enjoy all the excitement of the fair. We would always be treated to a sno-cone and end up with it dripping all over the fronts of our shirts by the end of the cone. Cherry was my favorite, while I think my brother preferred the grape flavor.

The Fireman’s Fair was such a special treat each year. Not only did it provide some tasty food, but the rides and the excitement of being so close to home was so much fun. I am sure the ride operators were somewhat intimidated by the fact that Kennywood Park was only a short distance away, but they didn’t need to worry. Having a carnival in what could have easily been described “in our own backyard,” pretty much guaranteed them success.

When I had reached the appropriate age in Mom’s eyes, she allowed my brother to escort me to the carnival. I would have to hang around with Steve and his friends, but I did have a bit more flexibility. Steve took his job seriously, and kept a close eye on me, but I still felt more independent going with him. As I got older, my friends and I would be allowed to go to the fair whenever we wanted. We would take a shortcut through St. Joseph’s Cemetery and then crawl under the fence by the Duquesne Annex parking lot. We didn’t always have money to spend, but we were able to take in the excitement of just being there. I would always manage to run into a neighbor or a family friend who offered to either buy me a treat or pay for a ticket for one of the rides.

Now that summer is upon us, perhaps it’s time to rekindle a bit of those memories of summers in Duquesne. Grab a Klondike, a Popsicle or a Dixie Cup and kick back and enjoy the treat on your back porch. It’ll be a real delight!

This entry was posted in Food and Restaurants, Summertime. Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Summer Delights

1. Bob Dougherty says:

Jack, Thank you so much for the “4:20 AM” by David Rose instrumental reference. Like you this melody has haunted me over the years, especially over the years when I could/cannot fall asleep. Based on the information you provided, I researched the song on Google and that it is part of an album titled, “the golden age of light music – light and easy” featuring various artists. I am confident “4:20AM by David Rose” is the song that will end my decades-long quest.

Jim Have you considered a blog dedicated to “Radio Days in W. PA”. Radio was the one of the principal sources of entertainment to those of us who grew up in the 40’s & early 50’s. Who can forget Rege Cordic & his host of characters, e.g., Carmen Monoxide, Max Confendigus, Brunhilda, , Omicrn, Louie Adamchevitz, et al. or his products: Olde Froshingslosh, the Crudley automobile. “Take me back to those thrilling days of yester year when out of the ……….” I forget the rest of the intro to the Lone Ranger. Bob

• Jack Schalk says:

Wow Bob, you got everything else right but the Lone Rangers intro went
      “return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear, when out of the past comes the thundering hoofbeats of the great horse Silver. The Lone Ranger rides again”.
      I wonder if those silver bullets amazed anyone else but me?
      That, and I never learned to spell Kimosabee but I did have a Lone Ranger ring. The ring was silver colored but turned your finger green when worn.
      No one worried about a chemical analysis back then.

I also remember waiting for the mail to come to bring my Sky King decoder pin and a few other items that I have since forgotten.

• Frank Mullen says:

When we start mentioning television shows, toy rings, and decoder pins, I am reminded of a temporary sheet of greenish plastic we used to be able to spread and temporarily adhere, end-to-end, onto the TV screen to draw (with crayon ?) in direct interaction with a particular program. Was it “Kookla, Fran, & Olie” that marketed that toy, or was it “Capt.Video”, or something else? For some reason, my sheet didn’t last for long; maybe, I got tired of it. Did anybody else have this item?

• Bob Dougherty Class of '50 St. Joe's; Class of '54 DHS says:

Radio days: Jack, once gain thank you for the correct information re the intro to the Lone Ranger. As i read the Lone Ranger intro you provided, in my mind I could hear the music from “The William Tell Ovature” playing in the background. Of course, at that time of my life all I knew about the music was that it was “The Lone Ranger Music”. I had completely forgotten about Sky King. In the series, didn’t Sky King have a neice and a nephew who accompanied him on his adventures and wasn’t the neice’s name Penny? While reminiscing about “Radio Days”, do you remember Jack Armstrong, The All-American Boy, and who was the Canadian Mounty and his horse and dog? There were other afternoon adventure shows but I cannot remember them. The fascinating thing about listening to the radio was that you had to create in your own mind’s eye the image of the character(s), the scenes, etc. as the adventure unfolded. Looking back it was a great experience! On another note, as I re-read my earlier message I saw all the typos and misspellings for which I apologize. i am currently affected by CTS which causes pain, numbness and tingling in finges. Providing I win in the Notre Dame football ticket lottery, I shall be in SB for the Pitt v ND game on Nov 5. I don’t know if you remember the football games we played in the alley between Kennedy Av & Sherman St where, if I recall correctly, you (or maybe it was your cousin, Bob Vislay) always wanted to be Johnny Lujack.

• Jack Schalk says:

Bob,
      I always wore a #7 jersey that my Mom made up for me. She cut the 7 out of a scrap piece of material and sewed it to an old jersey shirt but Bob Vislay was always the more advanced when it came to football.
      When he moved to Calif. he took that ability with him and was a high school all star till a knee injury took him away from the game. On a side note, he became the Supt. of schools for his district and held this position till his retirement. He moved to Charlotte, NC to get out of the rat race that was Calif. He was retired 5 years till his death from cancer.
      We used to have 45 min. phone conversations remembering Duquesne, family, and old friends. He also was our family historian and he took that all with him.

I remembered Penny from the Sky King show but I couldn’t come up with his nephews name either. It’s on the tip of my tongue but just can’t get it out.
      The Green Hornet was another biggie for me as well as The Shadow.

You’re right about radio making you create the setting in your mind. We had the ability to hear the same program but your scenario might be different than mine, and that was good. Stimulating the imagination was what it was all about and says a lot about the radio voices of the day and their abilities to reach us.

• Bob Dougherty Class of '50 St. Joe's; Class of '54 DHS says:

Jack, Other radio memories: It came to me during the middle of the night that the Canadian Mounted Policeman’s name was Sgt. Preston, also, some of the more popular radio shows were Fibber Magee (sp?) and Molly who were always warning their guests not to open the closet door because when they did so all you could hear was the crashing of pots, pans and other things that had been thrown into the closet. Again, only in your imagination could you envision what came flying out of the closet when the door was opened. Ah yes, The Shadow – “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men – only The Shadow knows”. Remember the Great Gildersleeve? Mr District Attorney? Wasn’t there a creepy show called “The Inner Sanctum” and “Dragnet” was on the radio long before it appeared on TV. The creativity of the radio shows writers and sound effects people bordered on genius in order to create the words and sounds that resulted in our being able to conjure up a scene in our minds.
        Re Bob Vislay. I communicate via email with Rosalie Swanson (remember her?) Spaniel and several other SJS and DHS classmates. Following the death of her husband, Rosalie moved to Charlotte, NC to be nearer her children. She sent me an email re Bob’s death including his obituary that showed his picture. She first read of his death in her Sunday church bulletin and lamented the fact that she did not know that he was a fellow parishioner.

Wasn’t Sky King’s nephew named Clipper and Penny’s dog was White Shadow, but she called him Shadow for short.

• Bob Dougherty Class of '50 St. Joe's; Class of '54 DHS says:

Jim,, the more I think about it, I do believe Sky King’ nephew’s name was Clipper; I don’t remember the dog. Didn’t Sky King call his plane “The Song Bird”?

I think you’re correct. The plane was called Songbird. They lived near Grover, Arizona on the Flying Crown Ranch. Remember the Sky King Secret Signalscope? It had a whistle, a decoder, a magnifying glass and other gadgets.

• Bob Dougherty Class of '50 St. Joe's; Class of '54 DHS says:

Every thing you needed in case of an emergency

• Jack Schalk says:

Bob,

The Mcgees ( Fibber and Molly) lived at 79 Wistful Vista as I remember.
      but it’s been a lot of years.

Another show was Duffys Tavern where the phone was answered
      “Duffys Tavern, where the elite meet. Archie the manager speaking, Duffy ain’t here!”

Do you remember Fred Allen and Allen’s alley? He always made a trip down the alley talking to various residents.

I have thought about Rosalie Swanson over the years. I can remember a trip that St. Joe grade school made to the old Bettis Airport. We all walked to the end of the runway behind a two engine plane that was taking off and I think the pilot did us a favor. He revved the engines for a long time before releasing the brakes. The guys could lean into the ensuing wind and the girls learned never to wear skirts in a prop wash.
      Rosalie was one of them.
      I remember her as an attractive red head.

2. missbtisme says:

Klondike bars…they are awesome. A fond early memory of eating one was in kindergarten. There was a holiday party and the principal of the little school (we had only 4 classrooms, in east Pittsburgh suburbs) handed each one of us a silver wrapped bar. Those bricks of chocolate dipped ice cream seemed enormous in our small hands and they were melting before we could eat them all up. I remember being astonished that the principal, a very stern woman, would hand out such a messy treat and that nobody had to share, because if I had one at home, Mom would have cut it in half to share with my little sister.

3. Bob Dougherty says:

Radio summer delights. Listening to the radio late at nite or “in the wee small hours of the morning”. Does anyone remember the radio show that came on after the Ed & Wendy King show on KDKA or maybe it was WWSW and it lasted throughout the nite until around 4:00. AM. It was hosted, I think, by Art Pallen (sp?). More specifically, does anyone remember the NAME of the instrumental music that was played at the start and at the end of the show?

• No, But I sure remember Rege Kordic with his overtron & Undertron on KDKA early mornings when I got ready for school. I think in the mid 50’s.

• Jack Schalk says:

Bob,
      My first inclination is that the song was “4:20 AM” by David Rose and his orch.
      I used it as my theme song while DJing in Fla. during college. I remembered, and was haunted by this music from a WWSW late night format.
      That music still goes around in my head.

4. Linda (Negley) Gibb says:

Do they still make Reemers Blend & if so where can you buy it? I never heard of Vernors till I married my hubby, His cousins lived in Mich. & he used to get it up there. I think shortly before we moved to WV you could find it in the local Pgh. area stores. We buy it down here in FL.

5. Frank Mullen says:

It’s amazing how many of our memories are tied to food, esp.sugary treats. Those Isaly’s stores, esp. the one in Duquesne and the big one in Oakland, were always places of indecision for me. Like Kathy, I preferred Maricopa; like Bob, I liked Rainbow the best; Debra was right, too, about Whitehouse – I loved that one best, too, as well as orange sherbet, though lime was the best, too! Popsicles? Yep, Jim, I liked cherry the best (because it seemed the juiciest,) but grape, banana, and rootbeer were top favorites as well (!) To this day, I’d have a difficult time deciding, if I walked into an Isaly’s right now. How old am I ? Maybe I’m still ten (I hope so, at least, somewhere inside.)

In Duquesne Place, on Overland, a half block down the road and across from the football “stadium,” there was a penny-candy store we used to flock to all the time – Kalough’s (sp?) I believe Marianne Djumic’s (sp?) aunt owned it. It had a zillion candy treats from which to select. I think everybody liked the large licorice whips that were studded with tiny pink, yellow, and white candy lumps spaced along their entire length and width; also, those flying-saucer capsules Linda mentioned, containing those edible bee-beez, seemed to be the texture and approx. taste of Communion (I thought.) Individually wrapped “sour balls” were, also, favorites, there, as were pretzel-stix.

Times really have changed. but at least, here, we can venture back for a look and remembrances of flavors and treats of a very favored time in our lives. Thank you, Jim.
    Frank

Oh, for the simple life again, when “fine dining” was only a bicycle ride away from a candy store or an ice cream shop! The candy store on Overland Ave. was, I believe, “Mary’s Confectionary”. It was owned and operated by Mary Balaban who was the aunt of Mike Balaban HNS ’65. I still recall the nose prints on the glass of the candy showcase and also the most wonderful Mission Grape pop I got there whenever a dime became available. As much as my dad liked beer I liked Misson pop. Popsicles were 6 cents in the 50’s but a kid could walk into Kennywood for free and purchase a 5 cent refreshment ticket and get one for a nickle. Five empty pop bottles returned at 2 cents each meant 2 popsicles at Kennywood. Such a deal! 🙂

• Frank Mullen says:

Hi Bob, Good to read your reply. Do you supose it’s possible the store name I remember pre-dates “Mary’s” ? You see, when I bought candy there, it was the 50s, during my childhood. Adolesence, during the early 60s, lead me to other gourmet wonders, such as pizza at a shop just beyond Kennywood, as one traveled toward Homestead. And if you want to consider gourmand wonders, then, there was always Reemer’s Blend, which I used to buy by the gallon jug of concentrate at a distributor just up Grant from DHS. How about Vernor’s POP (I haven’t used that term for decades, since living in NJ) ? Anybody else remember those beverages? Are they still available in PA?
        Frank
        P.S. Here’s an ancient one: Located on Duquesne Blvd. across from the Duke, was an oasis for cold pop, too. I remember enjoying plunging my hands into a (horizontal, slide-top machine) NEHI/Coke (it may have been red) pop cooler that stood in the Atlantic (later, ESSO) gas station’s front room, where you could guide a bottle from its mooring-row into the metal lift-up release that handed it to you, for the correct price.

• Larry McConnell says:

Hi Frank-You are right about Mary’s. In the ’50s and ’60s it was Kalough’s (sp?) . I remember the pop machine at Bob Shaws Atlantic too. Do you remember Pat McGrail? He lived 2 blocks up from you on Miller. I believe you also worked at Kennywood at the same time I did. I worked at the “Midway” across from the Arcade.
        Larry McConnell

• Frank Mullen says:

Hi Larry, Thank you, so much, for the kindnes of your response to my inquiry about that penny-candy store on Overland. I have no idea why I remembered the name that pre-dated Mary’s, but apparently it stuck w/ me through these many decades (probably my sweet-tooth did the trick, fed by many small brown paper bags of candy.)
        Regarding Miller Avenue, I don’t recall Pat McGrail, and I thought I had met everybody on our street, esp.since I was a Daliy News paperboy, with a route encompassed by Commonwealth Ave, Duq. Blvd, and Herman Ave, and I was possessed of a gregarious soul. A block up (the 200’s) from me would have included Glenn Choate and Roger Selznick (before he moved to West Mifflin,) two dear, life-time friends. A second block up from me boasted the Weibelt (sp?) sisters; Judy I remember the most clearly, since we were at Holy Name together. Just up over the top of Miller Ave, down to the left, of course, a little ways on Commonwealth, sat the home of the Mackey brothers, Ray and Lee (noted in that photo taken at the back-steps of Holy Name Elementary School.) A visit ot their house was always special fun – they were two, fun-loving boys. Further down the hill, on Commnwealth, was Howard Lehman’s house, always a very cool place to visit.
        Kennywood is one of the most treasured memories of my past – a great place to have learned more about work, and a place graced by many fine employees. There was a ticket-booth in front of your refreshment stand; did you have the chance to become aquainted w/ any of its very, very pleasant older ticket-ladies? They were really nice folks to meet.
        Frank

• Larry McConnell says:

Hi Frank-Thanks so much for the reply and the swizzle stick for my brain! I remember all those folks in Duquesne Place. The Mackey boys might have been fun then, but as time went on—well anyway. Yes I sure remember those ladies in the booths. They treated us great and so did those ladies in the dining room. I’m suprised you don’t remember Pat McGrail. He lived across the street from Cunningham’s. There were two Cunningham brothers. One looked like a movie star but the other boy was disabled. He would be at the front door window all day and wave to people. Thanks to the collapse of most of US Steel, I ended up in SC in 1987, been here ever since.

• Frank Mullen says:

The not-forgotten candies and ice cream treats are all poignant symbols of times held very dear. Remembering them here, makes me feel very fortunate – blessed – to have lived a childhood and adolesence during the 50s and 60s, not just for the treats themselves of course, but for the whole era they have come to represent, in their own particular way.
        Genuine people, hard-working steel mill men and women, caring, involved neighbors, and iconic, character-building institutions like the churches and schools of Duquesne, and Kennywood Park, all symbolize a time when I learned to cherish relationships, work, earn my way, and indeed, share popsicles and Klondikes w/ friends.
        I return for visits, to the Monongahela and Youghiogheny river valleys, and I see empty lots or malls where great steelmills used to roar, and I cannot believe what is before my eyes. Yet paradoxically, I see the rock-solid, old Pennsylvania brick houses of Duquesne Place, all of which appear exactly as they were when I graduated high school and left for the adventure of the rest of my life, and I wonder what happened. I see DHS, still standing tall and wise, dominating the cityscape, yet no longer open for business.
        All of it is plenty to carry around in one’s heart, cherishing the good times, sharing some of them here, and wondering.
        Frank

• Larry McConnell says:

Hello Frank-Always glad to hear from one of us. I guess that is one way to say it. I haven’t been that way for a while. I did see those beautiful homes in Duquesne Place. In fact some of the same families are still there. Not so Duquesne. I went straight on through on 837. a lot of what isn’t empty was leveled. We will never see the likes of what we did growing up there.

• Alan Belancik says:

Bob,
        If you didn’t want to walk all the way to Mary’s, you could always stop at Babick’s…where we used to shoot basketball against that telephone pole. Imagine having two stores that close to each other. They must have been about 200 yards apart.

We always used to look for old bottles because Masry would redeem the small ones for two cents amd the quart ones for 5 cents. That would fund our popsicles for that day.

Cheers,
        Alan

6. Marlene Prosnik says:

More summer memories…movies in the playgrounds…watching the Little League and Pony League baseball games…staying up late (no air conditioning!) playing dodge ball in the street or release or just hangin’ out w/friends…the fountain that we played under in the Burns Heights playground…roller skating for hours…sitting on the back porch reading comic books (oh Archie, what did you see in Veronica?) or playing jacks or pick up sticks. Good times. BTW, the bottled sauce for the “chipped ham” sandwiches taste nothing to the ones we ate @Isaly’s back in the day. Oh, and don’t forget the firehose contest associated w/Duquesne Annex fair…always a highlight.

7. Kathy Dobransky Hudak says:

Hi Jim. I remember my favorite skyscraper ice cream flavor was Maricopa (sp), and I do remember when they didn’t do it right and to make another skyscraper !! I think the Klondikes now are nothing like the original, they have really changed 😦 And loved going to Duquesne Annex fair, since my dad was a vol fireman, we were always there and when me and my sisters got older we would work the bingo’s in the firehall and at the fairs. I really like the barrel fights with the hoses and with the different fire companies, if u were lucky you would get wet cause it was always hot. Wow such great memories. Thanks Jim, you do a WONDERFUL job of bringing back those OLD, GREAT MEMORIES!!!! Can’t wait for the next one!!

8. Linda (Negley) Gibb says:

I remember buying a half of a popsicle. When our family moved to Glenny Lane a big treat for us kids was the ice cream truck with it’s jangely (sp?) music playing to alert you it was there. After I got married & had my own home on Nordeen Drive, friends of our family, the Creely’s, owned an ice cream truck. Friends or not we still had to pay for our ice cream. After the ice cream truck novelty wore out the Creely’s opened up a sub shop on RT. 885. They were better than Mr. Hoagie’s. When we moved to WV Jackie (Mrs. Creely & a good griend of mine) gave me a packet of the seasoning she used on her secret sub sauce. I packed that around with me from move to move & came across it when I moved to FL. I figured I’d had it that long I may as well keep it & it now has a place of honor in one of my kitchen cupboards. I have very fond memories of the Creelys not just their goodies.
    When we lived on Nordeen Dr. we’d drive down Muldowney St. into Lincoln Place & make a left hand turn onto (darn can’t remember the name of that highway) but it had a wonderful little store on the corner & they sold penny candy. Our daughter & my favorite were these little wafer like things shaped like flying saucers with candy beads inside. They also sold the original Ice Cubes (wonderful chocolates wrapped in gold foil). Jim you really stirred up a lot of memories for me with this blog thread. Thanks for the memories.

9. One more thing about Isaly’s, besides the skyscraper cones. How about those triple cones where you could put a different flavor in each hole.

George,
      I couldn’t remember how they handled the double and triple dips until you just reminded me. I remember getting doubles with blackberry and vanilla. Darn, they were WONDERFUL! IWhen I dared to get a triple skyscraper, it looked like the New York skyline with all of the flavors standing side-by-side!

10. Hi Jim, Glad to see you are still here. We need you. My most memorable part of summer at Kennywood was the Menzie Dairy picnics. My grand parents and mom would just HAVE TO go because Menzie always had a tanker truck filled with “yuk” buttermilk.. We always brought a big picnic basket and a soda for me and my brother, but they went for the buttermilk.
    Speaking of Isaly’s, I remember going to the main dairy on a school trip as a kid.

11. Bob Dougherty Class of '50 St. Joe's; Class of '54 DHS says:

Among the many jobs that I had during my teenage years was working at Isaly’s and learning how to create the skyscraper ice cream cone. It took patience and practice, practice, practice to learn the art. Some of the clerks never did learn how to create the perfect skyscraper cone while others were truly artists. It took two cuts into the ice cream with the special scoop and on the second cut you would twist your wrist to create the peak. You would then carefully extract the shaped ice cream scoop from the container and place it just so on the cone. If the ice cream did not come out correctly, you would dump it back into the container and start all over again. The skyscraper ice cream artists loved to display their talent; the lesser talents breathed a sigh of relief when a customer asked for a round scoop of ice cream. My favorite flavor was Rainbow

12. Paula Goldman Smith says:

I have “original” klondikes and a box of popsicles in my freezer right now! You can keep your gelatos and sorbets — nothing better than the good old stuff. Yum!

13. Rick Burton says:

As I remember when we got a Klondike we would always look for the inside of the wrapper to see if it was GOLD because you could trade a GOLD Klondike wrapper in for a FREE one next time. I only recall ever getting 2 or 3 of them as a kid – they were quite rare but still fun to look for each time.

14. Larry McConnell says:

Thanks again Jim
    How well I remember those summer treats. I haven’t t thought of or a seen a Dixie Cup since way back then. I still buy a Klondike once in a while but they sure can’t come close to Isaly’s. I would be glad to hear from any Kenneywood employees or DHS grads, class of ’63. I have been trying to find Pat McGrail, DHS ’63 but to no avail. Can anybody help?
    Larry McConnell
    cskennedy117@att.net

• Colleen Byrne Travis says:

Larry, I remember you and Patrick McGrail and so many other kids in my brother Patrick’s class at Holy Name. Some of you were on the picture that I sent to Jim which he posted about a month ago. My brother Patrick passed away in March 2012. I also remember your mother, Helen working in the HNS cafeteria. She was good friends with my mother.

• Larry McConnell says:

Hi Bob
        I remember Mary’s very well. I remember your mom and dad very well also. You lived on Overland Ave. and so did we, above Babic’s store. for quite a few years after Babic’s closed my dad would take a daily walk to Mary’s. Lots of neighbors would stop in just to gab.

• Larry McConnell says:

Hi Colleen
        I remember your family very well and of course Pat. I saw a previous posting that Pat had passed away recently. I remember your other brother also. I remember he was studying to be a mortician. I hope he is still with us.
        Thanks so much for the reply.

Hello, Larry. I certainly remember you at HNS and in Duquesne Place. My mom worked at the cafeteria which your mom ran. They became good friends. I recall when my mom’s mother died in ’63, your mom made a beautiful cake for the funeral. I had to walk from the Kennywood bridge, where we lived at the time, all the way to your house to get it since my dad was busy doing other things for her with the car. I was 12 at the time. Your mom had the cake in a beautiful glass covered cake stand ( I can picture it like it was yesterday) and it was heavy! All the way home I prayed that I wouldn’t drop it!! I made it and the cake was the best ever. I hope all is well with you. I remember Babic’s, also. Sawdust on the floors.

• Larry McConnell says:

Great to hear from you Bob-Thanks so much for the cake story. I never Knew that I was in the army in ’63. Are you still in PA?

15. Tom Lane says:

I remember when I discovered that I could go to Valco’s market buy a popsicle and put it on our family “bill”. Went quite often until my mom discovered I had several dollars worth of popsicles on there! The other thing we did was to mesh the sticks together to make triangles and sometimes more elaborate concoctions. I have been showing the little ones in my neighborhood how to do that. Seems like it is a lost art. Also, using the sticks as little boats on a rainy summer day. We would start at the top of Doney and float them all the way to Kennedy. Such simple fun.

16. Debra Faust-Clancy says:

Hi Jim, Thanks for the reminders about the ice cream cones called skyscrapers at Isaly’s. I remember the strange “trowel” shaped scoops that the dairy jerks used to create that cone. My favorite flavors were either “Whitehouse” – which was vanilla ice cream with real maraschino cherries throughout, or orange sherbet. And we were just talking about Klondike bars the other day because they were on “special” here — two boxes of any flavor Klondike bars (6 ea/box) for $5. Don’t know what they cost in your area. And as far as popsicles were concerned, I musta been a weirdo, cuz my favorites were always root beer or banana! And I simply cannot remember being able to buy a half of a popsicle! But that is pretty cool — literally.