I have been busy reading through all of the comments that have been posted by former and current residents of Duquesne since I began this blog back in November. There have been a lot of blanks that have been filled in for me about people and places throughout Duquesne. I was very excited to receive this information and I am eternally grateful.
Occasionally, I’d like to toss out some random thoughts and recollections for you to embellish with your own memories. Let’s dig deep into our memory bank and see if you can add to the following non-related thoughts and questions:
- If I am not mistaken, wasn’t Adler-Green’s located nest to Avenue News on the corner of S. First and Grant?
- Didn’t the Alder-Green site convert to a Johnson the Florist after Adler-Green relocated to the corner of 2nd Street and Grant?
- Wasn’t Johnson the Florist originally located on the corner of S. First and Grant across the street from Alder-Green’s original location?
- Weren’t Adler’s and Green’s separate stores at one time?
- Where was Benovitz’s located? I remember the name and I think they sold appliances, but I am not sure.
- Does anyone remember Dr. Sebastian, the female dentist, located near the First National Bank building on Duquesne Blvd? She eventually relocated her office to Duquesne Place. I believe it was on the 2nd floor of her home then. Does anyone remember her?
- My dad used to talk about a friend of his who used to live above Adler-Green’s on the corner of S. First and Grant. My dad always called him Pop Arms. Does anyone know anything about him?
- Every two weeks, we were marched down to Ideal Barber Shop on Grant Ave. Frank Gigliotti was the owner and occupied the first chair, closest to the front window. There was another barber there, I believe his name was Bob, who always cut my hair. Does anyone recall Bob or his last name?
- I had a friend who lived on Priscilla and 3rd or 4th Sts. Here name was Denise Hudak. She would have graduated in 1969. Does anyone know anything about her or where she is now?
- Avenue News was always called Elsie’s as long as I can remember. However, I don’t remember anyone named Elsie there. Am I wrong?
- Do you remember Jerry Reed’s Insurance Office next to Holy Name Grade School? Wasn’t there a dry cleaners next to his office on the corner of 1st Street and the alley behind Avenue News?
- Did you know that Port Authority’s 61C bus route is still active. The cost to go from Duquesne to Downtown Pittsburgh is now $2.75 (if I am reading their fare schedule correctly.) I remember snowy days waiting for the bus inside the little coffee shop on the corner of Grant and 2nd St. It was always so warm and smelled so good in there! I have no idea what the name was. Any thoughts?
I certainly hope that this has stirred up some memories! I hope someone has some answers to my questions. I am most anxious to find out about the mystery man “Pop Arms” and my friend Denise Hudak. Don’t forget to comment!!